Thursday, May 27, 2010

on death

My grandfather is a very, very sick man. That's all the nurse could tell me when I called Royal Columbian Hospital yesterday. He had been rushed from Abbotsford the night before to have brain surgery. All I wanted to know was a) did he survive? and b) how much longer did he have? Of course she couldn't answer "b" for me, but she did keep repeating that he was a very, very sick man.

Yesterday was a difficult day. My dad was supposed to arrive home from England and then head out to the hospital. But when my mom and I arrived at the airport we soon discovered he wasn't on the plane. His plane from London hd been delayed for 4 hours and he missed his connector. We didn't end up making it to the hospital last night. Today it is doubtful I will be able to make it with so much going on with the kids and work, as with tomorrow.

So, am I okay with possibly not seeing him again? I think so. In my devotional this morning it said "In the end, it's not about the destination but who shares our journey."

My grandfather will not remember me visiting him these past few days. But I did spend a lot of time with him growing up. I believe it is how we treat eachother in our lifetime that is important, not how many times we get in to see them in the hospital when they are dying.

lara

No comments:

Post a Comment