Monday, January 17, 2011

doing what I love

As January drags on, and the dreary weather sets in, I find comfort in doing the little things that I don't always get to do the rest of the year.

I have always loved fabric. The texture, the colours, the patterns, and all the creative things you can do with it. Before Christmas, my mom and I were in a lovely fabric store in Fort Langley. We were oooh and ahhhing over all of the amazing quilts and all of the beautiful fabrics, trying to imagine what we could possibly do with them. The lady at the store kindly showed us this gorgeous quilt on display and said it was a perfect one for beginners. It was called a "disappearing nines" quilt. All it involved was 9 fat quarters, some backing, binding and batting. I thought I could handle it. So I went home and went online to my favourite little fabric store, and ordered a 9 fat quarters.

The fat quarters arrived. I was blissful. I took them and mom to to the local fabric store to choose a backing. While were there trying to match things up, we realized that my online store had sent me a larger piece of fabric that didn't really go with the fat quarters. I thought perhaps i should try something with that first. So I ended up with backing, binding, and batting...as well as a new sewing machine..yay!

I had so much fun making this little quilt! I love having the time to putz around and be creative. This isn't the finished product, but I will post another picture of it in it's complete state.



4 comments:

  1. You are so multi-talented! (is that a real word?!!) Anyways beautiful work!! Beautiful fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i absolutely LOVE it. you multi-talented, beauty, you. birds are my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh it's just so pretty! I love fabric! I buy it because it's so pretty. And then it just sits there cause I don't know how to do anything with it. You....you know how to do stuff with it! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete