Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

The question I hear being thrown around lately is "what were doing when you first heard about the attacks?" So here I am eight years later thinking about that tragic day and all that has happened since.

I had just started a teaching job at a great Preschool in Vancouver. As I got into my Jeep that morning to drive to work I turned on the radio. A happy song was playing, the sun was shining, all seemed right with the world. Little did I know our world was changing, very fast. As the song ended, and I pulled into the parking lot of the school (yes I actually only worked like 6 blocks away) the news came on. The WTC had just been hit. I remember thinking "what, that can't be right." I was in a bit of a hurry to open the doors and get on with my day, so I pushed it to the back of my mind. It wasn't until parents started arriving with their children and were buzzing about this that I began to realize what was really going on. I went home that afternoon and was glued to the tv. I was in disbelief. I was sick, I was sad. My mind began to spin. I began wondering what our future held.

I was ten weeks pregnant with Elissa. I was scared for my baby. What kind of future will she have? How can I be bringing a child into this world, this world filled with hatred, bitterness, and war?

A lot has changed since then. A lot. Life went on, and life continues to go on. Joel was still in University. We lived in a one bedroom apartment on West 44th. We didn't go to church. We didn't see much family. I worked part time.
A lot has changed in 8 years. I wonder what the year 2017 will look like.

Our world is forever changing, as are we.

No comments:

Post a Comment