Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Bikram Yoga

This morning I did my first hot yoga class. It was quite the experience, and although I felt like I was going to die near the end, it also felt sooo good. They reccomend not eating before the class or else you will puke. So since it was a 9:15 class and I didn't wake up until 7:30 I didn't eat anything. Which normally is okay, but the last time I had anything to eat was 5:30 last night. I drank lots of water like I was told, like maybe half a bottle ;-) So with the room starting off at 90 degrees and getting warmer and warmer I felt slightly lightheaded and dizzy, which apparently is good and normal... who knew? Anyway, I wasn't sure what to expect so when I walked into the yoga room and saw about 20 people lying on there backs completely motionless staring up at the ceiling I knew I was in for some fun. As it turns out that pose is called the "corpse pose" nice huh? On a side note, I thought it was kind of funny that one guy was so relaxed he had fallen asleep and was snoring.

Anyway, we went through the poses and I dripped sweat. It was 90 minutes of pure sweat. It was a lot harder than I thought, I mean really, you have your feet planted on the ground pretty much the whole time, how hard can it be? Well, I can barely lift my arms and my legs feel like jelly and I am sure after a night of sleep I will be a wee bit sore. But I like a challenge and this was a good one. Now I have to figure out when I can go next. FYI this is one of the poses, I don't think I had the same dorky smile on my face, but hey, it's not as easy as it looks!

Padangustasana-photo1.htm.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I just came across your blog and wanted to say...I LOVE BIKRAM! I'm so glad you enjoyed your first class and I promise you that it does get easier the more you go. :)

    I hope you are feeling alright today!

    ReplyDelete