Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Simplicity

I spent some time today reflecting. I am reading this book called Less is More. We hear this all the time, but do we ever really apply it to our lives? We live in a society where we think we deserve the newest trends, gadgets, cars, and yes, even computers :( Do all of these things really make us happy? Maybe for a few minutes, or perhaps even a few weeks, but it wears off.

They define simplicity as this:

"Simplicity is a complex concept, but at the core is voluntary limitation of our outer wealth so that we can have greater inner wealth."

Our earth is so full of junk and stuff that was once treasured (probably for only a very short time) and is now left in a landfill. We have been blessed with such a beautiful earth, and I am feeling more and more guilty about what I fill my house with. Especially things made in China, where children are being paid peanuts to produce toxic goods. That is one reason I despise Dollar stores so much, but I won't get into that rant today.

Anyway, just my thoughts for the day! I am challenging myself to not buy anything else this week that will harm the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment