Friday, August 20, 2010

Do you love what you do?

I mean, really, truly, love what you do?

I am not sure how to proceed with this post, as my mind is swirling with thoughts, so forgive me if I am sounding scattered.

A couple of weeks ago I was having a conversation with my SIL Brooke. She is a very wise woman and always offers great insight. We were having a conversation about doing what we love and how even in the workplace, if we are given time to be creative, and come up with our own ideas, the payoff can be huge!

More recently I stumbled upon a friend's blog. She shall remain nameless, but I was so encouraged to read about her thoughts and dreams and how she was actually going to pursue them. It is a scary and daunting thing to go out on your own and take risks. Thoughts like "What if I'm not good enough?" " What if I fail? " " What if I lose my passion and no longer love what I do?" are so common.

These are all thoughts that have continually gone through my mind since I began my business in 2006. I will be honest and say that I have come so close to calling it quits. Times like that have always come in the height of busyness, when I no longer think I can juggle being at home with my kiddos and dealing with clients needs.

So what's gotten me through?
Finally realizing that what I do, is of value to families. Actually believing in myself as a business woman and a photographer. Some may think I charge too much, others think (mainly Joel and other photogs) think I charge too little, but I am happy where I'm at, and I love what I do.

So what do you fall asleep dreaming about doing? God has given us all gifts to use and I believe he really wants us to use them. Wouldn't you be insulted if you gave a gift that was never used or appreciated? I have a friend going back to school to pursue his dreams. Another who was signed up to go to school, but then realized that what she was signed up for was perhaps not what she dreamed of doing.

I know this sounds sooo cliche, but my encouragement for you today is to follow you dreams! Listen to what your heart tells you. Listen to what God tells you.

much love,
larajane

4 comments:

  1. Wow, LaraJane (I insist upon calling you this from now on - prettiest name ever!),
    I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your ramblings from the park. I think in many ways our lives and passions are very similar. Thanks so much for sharing this with me; you helped me very happily fill a couple of hours late at night while I was up waiting for my daughter to come home from babysitting. There's no question that I've bookmarked you! Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've realized over the past year that our passions can change and that's okay. Something I thought I'd love forever now doesn't hold as much weight and new passions are pushing there way in. I think it's important to remember that sometimes God has us doing things for a lifetime, other times its for a season, and other times He just lets us try them out so that it's clear to us why we should never, ever try them again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments grils! I love reading your thoughts and insights!

    ReplyDelete