Sunday, October 17, 2010

half my life...

It all started while I was away in California.

I began dreaming of my own office space. Not really a studio, but just a space I could go to where I could get my work done and not be interrupted or distracted. I looked into leasing some office space in old Abbotsford. A little pricey and a lot of work and effort to go to, all just so I wouldn't be distracted. I brought up my conundrum with my mother. She always has an opinion, and usually it's pretty good. She suggested I take the spare bedroom in the basement (which is the kid's playroom) and convert that into my office and use my current office/studio to make a full natural light studio (hello, my dream!)

So after some discussion with Joel, and the kiddos of course, we agreed that an office in the basement would be a better place for me to work, since I actually have to go out of my way to get there, and I can shut the door and let the world carry on without me. So, yesterday, between two shoots, editing, a run and dinner out, we managed to do a lot of rearranging, organizing, and cleaning. Ohhh it felt so good! I love this kind of change!

The kiddos now have their own space to play, Joel has his workout area, and I now have an empty room that will soon be filled with my desk, computer, packaging materials, filing cabinets, bookcases etc. Just as soon as I get a fresh coat of paint on those walls, which hopefully will be tomorrow!

Soooo, as we were cleaning, I was creating a pile of clothes that we were to donate to the Salvation Army or MCC. I looked through this closet of old coats with fond memories. There was a jean jacket that I had spilled bleach on, that Joel had bought me when we had been married for about 2 years and just moved back o Vancouver. There was my Taiga fleece vest, Taiga fleece pullover jacket, and of course the Taiga pullover Gore-tex, all from 1997. Oh the memories. My first time snowboarding, living the Trinity Western life, and all those fun adventures Joel and I had as a young couple. Then I came across this navy blue wool parka that I had bought in Fredericton. It was hard core warmth. It helped me get through the -30 temps and the 5 feet of snow. The memories those coats brought back. I haven't worn any of those jackets for years now, and I'm sure I never will. So away they were packed.

As I was packing them away and reminiscing, I began thinking about when Joel and I first started dating. How young I was. I was 16. He drove me home from youth group in his red 1976 Mustang and nervously asked me in parents driveway what I would say if he were to ask me out. I of course squealed "yes!!" not realizing until al few years later that the smart ass answer would have been, "I don't know, why don't you ask me?' Anyway, that was 16 years ago. October 18th, 1994. I have been with Joel for 16 years. Exactly half my life. Crazy! It's been an adventure to say the least. We have had many great times as well as some challenges, I guess all marriages do. I am greatly looking forward to what the next 16 years brings for us, okay maybe not the kids driving and dating, but most everything else!

1 comment:

  1. Do you think all good things start in California? I'm thinking I should go...
    I'm SO excited for the changes you'll be making to your home! Your own pretty office space, your own full natural light studio, what more could a girl want?! Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete