Saturday, October 30, 2010

Being still

Every month I receive a wonderful magazine in the mail. I spend days poring over it and slowly soaking in all the wonderful information it has to offer. The magazine is called Whole Living. It is my very favorite magazine out there. There are sections on healthy food, eco friendly and trendy clothing, natural beauty products, different ways to stay active, eco friendly decorating, and of course there are always a couple of great articles on topics that always piqué my interest.

This months issue was no different. One of the articles I have not been able to stop thinking about is an in-depth guide to meditation. As Christians we are told to meditate on God's word, be still, and listen. Oh how challenging I find this simple little task. Why can I not just sit still for 10 minutes? I know why, it's because I have a million things to do everyday and if I sit around not doing them my life will turn to chaos. Or will it? After reading this article I am thinking if I don't spend at least ten minutes alone with God and my own thoughts my life really will turn upside down.

So, here is what I learned.
Breathing is very important. It is important to listen to yourself breath, this calms you down.
You need to sit somewhere comfortable, but where you can sit with a straight back.

The hardest thing for me is my mind wanders. It wanders to the past, it wanders to the future, rarely do i just sit in the present. This writer of this article says it is okay to think these things, just be aware of them and let them go. She says to think of your mind as a clear blue sky. When a thought comes in that bothers you or worries you, breath it away. Think of it as a cloud being blown past.

We spend so much time and energy worrying about our futures and living in our past, that we don't spend enough time just being fully present.

I know this is all mixed up and I am only going on the bits and pieces I got from the article, but it was really good and I am challenging myself to try.

I will keep you posted on my journey.

Much love,
Larajane


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


1 comment:

  1. inspired by this post and your evident good taste in so many things, i just bought myself this mag for the first time. i can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete