Monday, February 22, 2010

I did it, and I'm doing it again tomorrow


On Friday, my mom and I took the kid's downtown to check out all of the Olympic festivities. We took the West Coast Express in, which was very nice and relaxing. Once we got to the Waterfront Station I had two kids who both needed a washroom. We tried taking them on the train, but the train was so jammed packed we couldn't move out of our seats. So they waited. Once we made our way out of the train station we headed for the nearest washroom, which of course had a line. This pretty much turned out to be the theme of our day, as well as I'm sure the theme of many thousands of other people's day.

We walked with the crowds taking in all of the Olympic sites. The kids ended up being the most intrigued with all of the pigeons walking around on the sidewalk, go figure. By 2:00 we hit a Starbucks for lunch, seeing as how all of the restaurants had huge lines to just get in the door. We grabbed our goods and searched for a place to sit. Right. Wasn't going to happen. Mom suggested we call Brandon and see if he was home. So I did , and thankfully he was. We walked down to BC Place, which his condo looks right into, and had our lunch at his place. It was nice to sit and relax for a bit. He then joined us as we walked along False Creek, which was very beautiful. Actually, everything was beautiful that day. I know I'm sounding negative but it really wasn't bad. The sun was shining, it was warm, the kids were such troopers, never complained. The thing is, is I am just not a crowds person. Nor a big event person. The odd Canucks game, or concert is fun, but long line ups and wall to wall people is just not my thing.

That night after we got home I sat on my front porch in the dark. My front porch is probably my favourite part of my house (another blog post on that later.) Looking up into the dark night sky at the twinkling stars, soaking in the quiet and the stillness made me so thankful for where I live. I love the city, and I love the years we spent there, and I would move back if that were where our lives were to take us, but deep down I'm a country girl who loves the smell of fresh dirt, big open spaces, and the freedom to be alone.

Tomorrow I will venture back into the big city with Joel and without the kid's. It should be fun. We will have much more freedom to stand in lines and see all the neat events everyone talks about. But I will look forward to tomorrow night when I can sit on my front porch again with a hot cup of tea and take in the solitude of a February night.

I posted pictures of our day downtown on my other blog if you're interested.

As for tonight, I am driving out to New West for a photography workshop. Should be good, although it doesn't end until 10:00.

I hope you have all enjoyed this wonderful sunshine today.

~Lj

No comments:

Post a Comment