Monday, February 8, 2010

My Olympic Thoughts

For 8 years Vancouver has been planning. Planning on welcoming the world to our beautiful city. So here we are, days before the opening ceremonies. I've had mixed feelings about the Olympics. I've heard both sides. I've seen the effects of the government's money poorly spent, I've also seen infrastructure that was so badly needed, built. At the end of the day, I have to say I am not a fan of the Olympics.

The buildings and roads we really needed to build, would have been built regardless. Perhaps not this soon, but it would have happened.

And really? $600 million dollar Sea to Sky highway upgrade? A new highway that leads us to a resort that is on the verge of bankruptcy? The $2 billion Canada Line? And what about all of the small businesses that now have their streets closed. How are they going to get through the next month? I could go on and on, but I think you all know where our money has gone.

With all of this being said, I have taken my children to see the Russian figure skaters practice, and we did see the torch in Abbotsford last night. I know I have to suck it up and realize this will most likely never happen in my lifetime, or my children's lifetime again. These are fun memories and opportunities.

I hope BC does make a quick recovery after all of this money has been spent... but I'm not holding my breath.


No comments:

Post a Comment