Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A new room

So last week I was pretty sick with a nasty cold/flu. I didn't feel like doing a whole lot, and was thankful to have a good book to read. I had run some errands in the morning and then picked up Connor from Kindergarten. I was unpacking my groceries when my mom called. We chit chatted for a bit and somehow ended up on the topic of rearranging furniture. If you're reading this blog then you know me. You probably know me well enough to know that I love rearranging furniture and I love painting. I love these kind of projects.

I'll back up a bit and tell you about a dinner we had here after Christmas. We had invited my parents, my two brothers and their girlfriends over for dinner one night. Joel had planned a big meal for the evening and was ready to get going on it when he realized he needed a few more ingredients. We went out to Costco for these ingredients and came home with a new dining room table and chairs. I spent the afternoon putting together all of the chairs and table, while Joel spent the afternoon cooking. Everything came together just in time for our dinner guests.

My brother Brandon hadn't been over for quite a while. He recently just moved into a brand new condo in downtown Vancouver and has enjoyed furnishing it. As he was looking around my house, he said he loved everything about it, but our kitchen table and chairs had to go. He said it was really bringing the place down. I had to laugh because my little brother can be very blunt and rather brutally honest, but I appreciate it. He was right. We had bought that little set second hand and I had spent hours stripping it and re-finishing it, but it had been through the mill with the kids and I started thinking that perhaps it was ready to go. Sooooo, fast forward to the conversation with my mom last Thursday...

She asked if I had ever considered moving our new dining room set into our kitchen and making our dining room into a living room. I suppose it had crossed my mind at one point, but I was just used to having a dining room. She told me to measure the table with the leaf in it just to se if it would. So I did. And it would fit. She said she would be up in ten minutes to help me move. So it had begun.

I moved out little old kitchen table & chairs out and we moved the new table and chairs in. We moved out couch from the basement upstairs as well as a coffee table and the desk. It was a lot of moving in a short amount of time, but we did it and I liked it. The only thing that was missing was an area rug, which mom told me to run out to Costco and pick one up and she would pick up the kids from school. Okay then, the room was complete. I enjoyed it for a whole day. Saturday I woke up, still feeling sick, but with a bit more energy and decided I want to paint the room. So I did. Joel bought some new bookcases to replace our buffet and by Saturday night our room was once again put together. There are still a few things that need to be done, such as cabinet doors put on the bottom of the bookcases and I have a big mirror I want to hang above the desk, but first I am going to paint it and vintage it up a bit. Also I am not sure I want to keep the desk in there. I may move it back and put a loveseat or a chair-in-a-half there.

The paint colours: Actually the light gray I haven't painted yet, it's going in other places of the house.
Here is how we're looking today:

No comments:

Post a Comment